S*0231 took me by surprise. It provides student identification cards issued by public schools and public and private institutions of higher learning must include certain contact information concerning the National Suicide Prevent Lifeline and certain other crisis resources.
I had not realized that suicide among our youth has become that pronounced. According to the South Carolina government,
- 349 Youths died by suicide in South Carolina from 2016–2018.
- Youth suicides occurred most frequently among young adults aged 20-24.
- Most youth suicide deaths were among males while most emergency department (ED) visits and hospitalizations for suicide attempts were among females
- 2x as many non-Hispanic White youths died by suicide compared to youths from other races combined
- About one-half of youth suicide victims died at home.
- Firearms were the most common weapon used in youth suicides, accounting for 56.4% of youth suicide deaths.
- Of youths tested, 43.3% of youth suicide victims had marijuana present, and 28.9% had alcohol present. 14.6% were suspected to have used alcohol hours before the incident.
- The most common problem prior to a youth suicide was an intimate relationship problem.
This was passed Passed by the General Assembly on May 6, 2021: https://www.scstatehouse.gov/sess124_2021-2022/bills/231.htm
Let us know your thoughts on this and if you think NY State should propose something similar. Comment below.